Jorge González Alonso
Having obtained my first degree in English Philology from the University of Oviedo (Spain), I completed an M.A. programme in Language Acquisition at the University of Sheffield (UK). Between 2010 and 2015 I was a Ph.D. student at the University of the Basque Country, supervised by Professor María del Pilar García Mayo, graduating with a dissertation entitled Morphological processing and representation in multilingualism. After a short period at The University of Reading (UK), I started my current post-doctoral position at UiT The Arctic University of Norway, in Tromsø.My research focuses on two main topics: the acquisition of a third or further language by bilinguals of different types (sequential ─ early and late ─, simultaneous, etc.), and the processing of morphology and morphosyntax by non-native speakers of a language. I have worked with speakers of Basque, Polish, Russian, Norwegian, English and Spanish, although the last two are by far the populations I know best.
- Second and third language acquisition.
- Nonnative processing.
- Lexical access.
- Language and cognition.
- Leah Roberts, Jorge González Alonso, Christos Pliatsikas, Jason Rothman. (2018) Evidence from neurolinguistic methodologies: Can it actually inform linguistic/language acquisition theories and translate to evidence-based applications?. Second Language Research. 34(1):125-143. Abstract || PDF
- Laura Domínguez, Jorge González Alonso. (2018) What is the role of L1 representations in a grammar-input model of L2 acquisition?. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism. 8(6):722-726. Abstract || PDF
- Eloi Puig-Mayenco, Jorge González Alonso, Jason Rothman. (2018) A systematic review of transfer studies in third language acquisition. Second Language Research. Epub ahead of print, 22 November 2018:-. Abstract || PDF
- Jorge González Alonso, Jason Rothman. (2017) Coming of age in L3 initial stages transfer models: Deriving developmental predictions and looking towards the future. International Journal of Bilingualism. 21(6):683-697. Abstract || PDF
- Jorge González Alonso, Jason Rothman, Denny Berndt, Tammer Castro, Marit Westergaard. (2017) Broad scope and narrow focus: On the contemporary linguistic and psycholinguistic study of third language acquisition. International Journal of Bilingualism. 21(6):639-650. Abstract || PDF
- Jorge González Alonso, Julian Villegas, María del Pilar García Mayo. (2016) English compound and non-compound processing in bilingual and multilingual speakers: Effects of dominance and sequential multilingualism. Second Language Research. 34:503-535. Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso, Silvia Baquero Castellanos, Oliver Müller. (2016) Masked constituent priming of English compounds in native and non-native speakers. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience. 31(8):1038-1054. Abstract || PDF
- Jorge González Alonso. (2012) Assessing multilingual lexical incorporation hypotheses through a primed picture-naming task. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism. 2(1):91-107. Abstract || PDF
- Jason Rothman, Fatih Bayram, Ian Cunnings, Jorge González Alonso. (in press) Formal Linguistic Approaches to Adult Second Language Acquisition and Processing. Ed.: . Pub.: Cambridge University Press. Pags: -. Abstract
- Jason Rothman, Jorge González Alonso, David Miller. (2018) The Acquisition of Second Language Spanish Morphosyntax. Ed.: Geeslin, K. L.. Pub.: Cambridge University Press. Pags: 689-715. Abstract || PDF
- Jorge González Alonso, Jason Rothman. (2017) From theory to practice in multilingualism: What theoretical research implies for third language learning. Ed.: Angelovska, T., & Hahn, A.. Pub.: John Benjamins. Pags: 277-298. Abstract || PDF
- Jorge González Alonso, María del Pilar García Mayo, Jason Rothman. (2017) Compounds in the multilingual lexicon: Internal structure and cross-linguistic influence.. 13th Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition (GALA) conference Palma de Mallorca (Spain). Abstract
- Alemán Bañón, J., Jorge González Alonso, Jason Rothman. (2015) Using event-related potentials to examine transfersources at the initial stages of L3 acquisition. Workshop on Multilingual Language Acquisition, Processing and Use Tromsø (Norway). Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso. (2014) Compound Processing in Non-native Speakers: Constituent priming and compound representation. Invited talk University of Reading. Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso, María del Pilar García Mayo, Julian Villegas. (2013) L3 morpho-lexical processing: Effects of bilinguals’ language dominance. 12th Conference on Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition Gainesville - Florida (USA). Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso, Julian Villegas. (2013) Dominance takes precedence: L3 English processing by Basque-Spanish bilinguals.. 31st AESLA International Conference La Laguna (Tenerife). Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso. (2013) Adquisición de vocabulario en terceras lenguas: Análisis experimental del Modelo Parasítico.. Invited talk Universidad Nacional de Colombia - Sede Bogotá. Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso. (2013) Procesamiento del inglés como tercera lengua: El factor de dominancia en los bilingües.. Invited talk Universidad Nacional de Colombia - Sede Bogotá. Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso, María del Pilar García Mayo, Julian Villegas. (2012) Processing of English compounds by Basque-Spanish bilinguals: The role of dominance. Hispanic Linguisitics Symposium Gainsville-Florida (USA). Abstract
- Jorge González Alonso. (2011) L3 Vocabulary Acquisition: Lexical access and the role of proficiency. 29th AESLA International Conference Salamanca. Abstract